Data science in healthcare
Data science in healthcare is becoming increasingly important to the evolution of healthcare systems. Dr. Atul Butte shares his insights.
In the first part of the interview, Dr. Butte gave us an overview of the role of data science in today’s healthcare industry and how it will be used in medicine and healthcare.
- Data and the future of healthcare systems HT: To make data useful to better patient outcomes, do you see the need for a new business model to access and use shared data that’s required to improve the outcomes of patients?
- Certainly, we’ve seen many changes in the last 5 to 10 years.
- Physicians are going to be guided more and more with digital decision support tools, or decision support systems, because there are so many data elements now, computational tools are going to be needed to really help guide the physicians to figuring out the right choice from many.
- If a physician has to switch to another tool or to pick up their phone when they’re using the computer, that’s going to make it much harder to actually get good uptake of those tools.
- Now I know not every doctor is going to be wanting to do this, but I think for those that can think about entrepreneurism and innovation, this is a great time to be starting to think about how to fix the healthcare system from within.